The East Williston Public Library
2 Prospect Street, East Williston, NY 11596, (516) 741-1213
Monday - Friday
Library Board Meeting
How Do I: Use the Internet
Computer Use and INTERNET ACCESS POLICY(Updated January 2013)
In accordance with its mission as an educational and recreational institution serving the needs of all residents of East Williston, the East Williston Public Library provides users with access to the Internet.
The Internet is a global, electronic network that provides dynamic and ever-changing sources of information. The East Williston Public Library does not monitor or control information accessed through the Internet, and does not employ filtering software.
Supervising Children's Computer Use
It is the responsibility of parents, legal guardians and/or care-givers to supervise or restrict Computer and Internet Access for juveniles. As of January 1, 2007, all Juvenile Patrons (less than 16 years old) must have an Internet Use Permission Form for Juvenile Patrons on file at the circulation desk in order to use the East Williston Public Library's public computers.
This form will be kept on file at the circulation desk and be in effect for the same time period as the library card. Any juvenile patron without an Internet Use Permission Form for Juvenile Patrons on file will not be allowed access to the Internet on the Library's public computers.
Library staff may offer suggestions or guidance, but only parents, guardians or care-givers can decide what is appropriate for a particular child. Children's Internet sessions should be supervised appropriately.
All parents/guardians/care-givers are urged to read "Child Safety on the Information Highway," which was jointly produced by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Interactive Services Association. A hardcopy version of this document is available, for reference, at the circulation desk.
Policies and Rules of Use
1. ALL Patrons MUST sign the Computer User / Internet Access Log and present valid identification.
2. Internet Access may not be used for unlawful purposes or any activity which is determined to be offensive, libelous, or slanderous by the Library Staff. Transmitting and/or receiving obscene documents and/or child pornography are violations of law and are not permitted under any circumstances.
3. Use of the Library's public equipment is on a first-come, first-serve basis and is limited to a 30 minute time period. If no one is waiting for the computer, 1 additional half-hour may be approved by the Library staff. Maximum of 1 hour per day per person.
4. The Library reserves the right to terminate an Internet session that disrupts library services or that involves user behavior that violates the Library's policies.
5. Patrons may access subscription databases, the oneline catalog and various software programs when using the Library's computers. All computers have access to the Internet. Because the Internet is an unregulated electronic medium, the Library assumes no responsibility for its content, quality, accuracy or currency.
6. Patrons shall not make any attempt to gain access to restricted computer files or networks.
7. Damaging or modifying Library computer equipment or software, as well as installing or downloading any software is strictly prohibited.
8. The Library assumes no responsibility for damage to a patron's laptop from harmful downloads when using the Library's wireless network.
9. Patrons are financially responsible for any charges that they may incur through their use of the internet.
10. Patrons may print documents to the (black and white only) copy machine for a fee of .20 cents a page.
The East Williston Public Library considers the use of any public access computer in its facility to constitute an acceptance of its Computer Use and Internet Access Policy. Patrons reaffirm their acceptance of the stated policies each time they use a public access computer.
Use of information obtained from the Internet is at the Patron's own risk. The East Williston Public Library specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained via the Internet. It is the Patron?s responsibility to verify the integrity and/or authenticity of the information that is used.
The East Williston Public Library assumes no responsibility for any direct or indirect damages, loss of data, or loss of privacy from the use of its public computers.
Failure to comply with these policies and its associated procedures will result in the forfeiture of the Patron's right to access these computers and where appropriate, referral to law enforcement authorities.
The Library reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.